Some (most) weeknights call for easy recipes. Whether you're coming home from a hectic work day or multitasking your kids' homework, bath and bed time, an easy and nourishing dinner can make the world of difference.
Here's a quick and easy meal I made last week. I love it because:
- It's kid-friendly - my kids love eating these little wings and it's a great source of high-quality animal protein.
- It's budget-friendly - wings are on the lower end of the price range for antibiotic-free, free-range, air-chilled chicken.
- It's super satisfying - the creamy risotto coupled with the crispy wings make a delicious and satisfying meal.
- It's gluten-free, dairy-free and easily adaptable for most food sensitivities.
Oven-Baked Chicken Wings and Risotto
Ingredients for the chicken wings:
- 2 lbs antibiotic/hormone-free chicken wings
- Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute
- Avocado Oil
- Barbecue sauce of choice
Ingredients for Risotto (made in the Instant Pot)
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1-2tbsp grass-fed butter or ghee
- 1 cup Arborio Rice
- 1/3 cup white wine (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth or stock
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400
- In a big bowl, toss the chicken wings with avocado oil and Trader Joe's 21 seasoning salute (any seasoning will do if you don't have TJ's).
- Spread on a large baking sheet so the chicken wings are not touching.
- Cook for 50 minutes, turning halfway through. For a crispier texture, broil at the very end for 1-2 minutes.
- Once done, toss with a little bit of barbecue sauce in a clean bowl.
While the chicken wings are cooking, in the Instant Pot:
- Set the Instant Pot to saute
- Melt butter or ghee and add onion and saute until soft (use olive oil if dairy intolerant)
- Add Arborio rice and stir to coat, about 1 minute
- Add in white wine, stir and allow to absorb, about 1 minute,
- Stir in chicken broth, stir and place top on the Instant Pot
- Change the setting to Manual for 8 minutes
- Quick release pressure when done
As a side dish, cut up carrots and celery sticks or add a simple salad.